Professor of Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Balaraman Ravindran is the head of the Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (RBC-DSAI) at IIT Madras and a professor and the Mindtree Faculty Fellow in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. He is also the co-director of the reconfigurable and intelligent systems engineering (RISE) group at IIT Madras. He received his PhD from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and his Master’s in research degree from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. He has nearly two decades of research experience in machine learning and specifically reinforcement learning. He has held visiting positions at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India and University of Technology, Sydney, Australia. Currently, his research interests are centred on learning from and through interactions and span the areas of complex network analysis and reinforcement learning.
He has published nearly 100 papers in journals and conferences, including premier venues such as ICML, AAAI, IJCAI, ICDM, ICLR, NIPS, UAI, ISMB, and AAMAS. He has also co-authored the chapter on reinforcement learning in the Handbook of Neural Computation published by Oxford University Press. He has been on the program committees of several premier conferences as well as he served as the program co-chair of PAKDD in 2010 and the General co-chair of the 2015 Big Data Summit at Sydney. He is currently serving on the editorial boards of PLOS One and Frontiers in Big Data.
Research interests of relevance to the project
- Application of complex network analytics algorithms and collective inference methods to systems biology problems
- Application of reinforcement learning to various network design and discovery questions.
Field of Expertise
- Machine Learning – Reinforcement Learning
- Network Analytics
- Collective Learning
- Tripathi, B., Parthasarathy, S., Sinha, H., Raman, K., and Ravindran, B. (2019) “Adapting Community Detection Algorithms for Disease Module Identification in Heterogeneous Biological Networks”. To appear in Frontiers of Genetics, section Bioinformatics and Computational Biology.
- Kumar, T., Narayanan, M., and Ravindran, B. (2019) “Effect of Interlayer Coupling on Multilayer Network Centrality Measures”. To appear in the Journal of the Indian Institute of Science, Vol 99, No. 2. Springer.
- Reddy, R., Chandar, S., and Ravindran, B. (2019) “Edge Replacement Grammars : A Formal Language Approach for Generating Graphs”. To appear in the proceedings of the SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM19).
- Azhagesan, K., Ravindran, B., and Raman, K. (2018) “Network-based features enable prediction of essential genes across diverse organisms”. PLoS ONE 13(12): e0208722. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0208722
- Gupte, P. V., Ravindran, B., and Parthasarthy, S. (2017) ” Role Discovery in Graphs using Global Features: Algorithms, Applications and a Novel Evaluation Strategy”. In the proceedings of the Thirty-Third IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2017), pp. 771-782. IEEE Press.
BSB 349, Dept. of CSE
IIT Madras, Chennai 600036.
Phone: +91 2257 4370, +91 2257 8983, +91 9500127396
Fax: +91 2257 4352
Email of assistant: email@example.com