Professor of GI Science and 3D Geodata Processing | Dean of Studies
Bernhard Höfle is highly interested in scientific problems that have a fundamental, applied and interdisciplinary component – all together. It is one of his missions to push forward scientific computing in geography and environmental sciences in order to solve problems that are relevant to society. As “geography matters” in most real-world issues, he loves to explain “geography” in situ by organizing field trips with his students. “This strongly stimulates the development of new computing methods and applications and helps to design real and virtual geospatial experiments”, he says. He is convinced that science and his scientific work in particular will generate a completely new concept of 3D Earth observation which is strongly coupled with big geodata analysis. “This will help to improve research as well as commercial applications, e.g. in biosciences and geosciences, by increasing our understanding of the geographic world,” he says. In his free time he enjoys to climb rocks and to serve the shuttlecock in a good match of badminton.
2018 supervisor for Master Student Deepanshu Yadav: Comparative study of point cloud scaling using two different approaches. (internship)
- Geographic 3D/4D Point Cloud Analysis (Auto3Dscapes, PermaSAR, 4DEMON, 3D-TAIGER, ER3DS)
- Geoprocessing Algorithms for GIS (3DGeo Open Source Software)
- Virtual Laser Scanning – LiDAR Simulation (HELIOS, SYSSIFOSS)
- Radiometric Calibration of LiDAR Data (LVISA)
- 3D Crowdsourcing and 3D Micro-Mapping (3D-MAPP, NEOHAZ)
- Web-based 3D Spatial Data and Analysis Infrastructures and Databases (SYSSIFOSS, 3D-MAPP, LVISA, )
Field of Expertise
- 3D Earth Observation
- Herfort, B., Höfle, B. & Klonner, C. (2018): 3D micro-mapping: Towards assessing the quality of crowdsourcing to support 3D point cloud analysis. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. Vol. 137, pp. 73 -83.
- Ghamisi, P., Zhu, X. & Höfle, B. (2017): Hyperspectral and LiDAR Data Fusion Using Extinction Profiles and Deep Convolutional Neural Network. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. Vol. 10 (6), pp. 3011-3024.
- Eitel, J.U.H., Höfle, B., Vierling, L.A., Abellán, A., Asner, G.P., Deems, J.S., Glennie, C.L., Joerg, P.C., LeWinter, A.L., Magney, T.S., Mandlburger, G., Morton, D.C., Müller, J. & Vierling, K.T. (2016): Beyond 3-D: The New Spectrum of LiDAR Applications for Earth and Ecological Sciences. Remote Sensing of Environment. Vol. 186, pp. 372-392.
- Höfle, B. (2014): Radiometric Correction of Terrestrial LiDAR Point Cloud Data for Individual Maize Plant Detection. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters. Vol. 11 (1), pp. 94-98.
- Höfle, B. & Pfeifer, N. (2007): Correction of laser scanning intensity data: Data and model-driven approaches. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. Vol. 62 (6), pp. 415-433.
Institute of Geography
Im Neuenheimer Feld 368
Phone: +49 6221 54-5594
Fax: +49 6221 54-4529
Email of assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org