Michael Winckler is a scientific manager at Heidelberg University. As administrative director of the IWR, the Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing, he is responsible for all administrative processes to facilitate and promote research activities. He is also head of administration of HGS MathComp, the Heidelberg Graduate School of Mathematical and Computational methods for the sciences.
His own research interests lie in the field of numerical modelling and optimization, computer graphics and visualization as well digital methods for the humanities.
A central topic of his work is the promotion of internationalization in higher education. He was one of the founders of Erasmus Mundus Mobility with Asia (EMMA), a mobility program between more than 20 higher education institutions and worked in several EU projects. He is also a member of the program committee of flagship 3 of the 4EU+ European Universities consortium (www.4euplus.eu).
Responsibilities at home organisation
- Administrative Director, IWR
- Administrative Director, Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing
- Administrative Director, HGS MathComp
- Heidelberg Graduate School of Mathematical and Computational Methods for the Sciences (HGS MathComp)
Responsibilities within the project
- Administrative Coordinator
- Key contact at Heidelberg University
- Coordination of the administrative as well as the scientific development of the programme
Research interests of relevance
- Modelling, Simulation and Optimization of Mechanical Systems
- Computer Graphics
- Digital Methods in the Humanities
- Mathematics of Origami
- Visiting Scientist, Argonne National Laboratory, Chicago, IL,USA (1997)
- Visiting Scientist, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA (1998)
- Scientific Advisor, Department of Engineering, Royal University Phnom Penh, Cambodia (2015-present)
- Member of Program Committee, Flagship 3, 4EU+ University Alliance (2019-present)
- Head of Administration for summer schools in Bangkok, Allahabad, Cape Town, Islamabad, Manila
Field of Expertise
- Numerical Mathematics
- Digital Humanities
- Internationalization of Higher Education
Other personal interests
Michael Winckler enjoys endurance sports such as long distance running, hiking and triathlon. He lives with his wife and three children in Ladenburg, Germany. His office at IWR is sometimes guarded by his hunter chaser dog Luna.