Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
Mukesh Jain has done outstanding work in the area of Plant Genomics, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. He has made significant contributions in understanding the molecular (transcriptomic and epigenetic) mechanisms, underlying various abiotic stress responses, and identified several novel key candidate genes involved in stress tolerance. He has been instrumental in the genome and transcriptome sequencing, annotation and analysis of chickpea and rice, and identification/development of functional molecular markers. Mukesh is one of very few leaders in generation of genomic resources using next generation sequencing technologies in India. His work has appeared in many peer-reviewed international journals of high repute. For his scientific contributions, he has been honoured with several prestigious awards and fellowships from various agencies/academies.
Mukesh Jain’s current research interests include understanding the chromatin dynamics, and transcriptional and epigenetic regulation of abiotic stress responses and seed development using advanced state-of-art technologies. His group is using multidisciplinary omics and systems approaches to understand these processes. He is interested in implementing machine learning and big data analytics to address the problems of biological relevance.
Field of Expertise
- Plant Genomics and Computational Biology
- Genome Sequencing and Informatics
- Epigenomics and Regulatory Networks
- Singh U, Khemka N, Rajkumar MS, Garg R, Jain M. (2017) PLncPRO for prediction of long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) in plants and its application for discovery of abiotic stress-responsive lncRNAs in rice and chickpea. Nucleic Acids Research 22, e183. DOI: 10.1093/nar/gkx866
- Garg R, Singh VK, Rajkumar MS, Kumar V, Jain M. (2017) Global transcriptome and co-expression network analyses reveal cultivar-specific molecular signatures associated with seed development and seed size determination in chickpea. The Plant Journal 91, 1088-1107. doi: 10.1111/tpj.13621
- Jain M†, Moharana KC, Shankar R, Kumari R, Garg R†. (2014) Genome-wide discovery of DNA polymorphisms in rice cultivars with contrasting drought and salinity stress response and their functional relevance. Plant Biotechnology Journal 12, 253-264. doi: 10.1111/pbi.12133.
- Jain M, Mishra G, Patel RK, Priya P, Jhanwar S, Khan AW, Shah N, Singh VK, Garg R, Jeena G, Sharma P, Kant C, Yadav M, Yadav G, Bhatia S, Tyagi AK, Chattopadhyay D. (2013) Draft genome sequence of the pulse crop chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). The Plant Journal 74, 715-729. (Featured and cover photo article)
- Garg R, Patel RK, Jhanwar S, Priya P, Bhattacharjee A, Yadav G, Bhatia S, Chattopadhyay D, Tyagi AK, Jain M (2011). Gene discovery and tissue-specific transcriptome analysis in chickpea with massively parallel pyrosequencing and web resource development. Plant Physiology 156, 1661-1678.
Complete list of publications
School of Computational and Integrative Sciences
Jawaharlal Nehru University