Heidelberg Institute of Global Health
Nikkil Sudharsanan, a population health scientist, works primarily on issues of aging in developing countries. His research spans three areas:
- The development of statistical approaches for the study of population health.
- the causes of adult mortality in developing countries.
- understanding and intervening on the behavioural reasons that lead to suboptimal health outcomes among older individuals in developing countries.
Before joining Heidelberg University, Nikkil Sudharsanan did his PhD research at the University of Pennsylvania and a Postdoc at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Cambridge, USA. He works primarily in India but also has projects in Indonesia and Cambodia.
Network within RTG Big Data Research
- Using machine-learning models to predict high and low mortality subpopulations from survey data
- Application of microsimulation methods to simulate and forecast the effects of theoretical interventions on mortality outcomes based on survey-data derived inputs
Field of Expertise
- Health policy
- Sudharsanan, Nikkil, Pascal Geldsetzer. “Impact of coming demographic changes on the number of adults in need of care for hypertension in Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and South Africa: a modeling study.” Hypertension (forthcoming).
- Sudharsanan, Nikkil. “Population-level Mortality Benefits of Improved Blood Pressure Con- trol in Indonesia: A Modeling Study.” International Journal of Epidemiology.
- Sudharsanan, Nikkil, David Bloom. “Aging in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: Chrono- logical versus Functional Perspectives.” National Academy of Sciences volume on The Future Directions for the Demography of Aging.
- Sudharsanan, Nikkil. “The Association Between Socioeconomic Status and Adult Mortality in a Developing Country: Evidence from a Nationally Representative Longitudinal Survey of Indonesian Adults.” Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, (2017): gbx061.
Complete list of publications
Im Neuenheimer Feld 130.3 6th floor