Teaching, Research & related activities
University of Allahabad
Anup Som obtained his PhD in Computational Biology from Jadavpur University, Kolkata (worked at Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science – IACS, Kolkata) and carried out several years of postdoctoral research in frontier areas of bioinformatics and computational biology at Arizona State University (USA) University of Houston (USA) and University of Rostock (Germany). In particular, he pursued postdoctoral training for four years on “Bioinformatics approaches to Stem Cell Research” at the Institute for Biostatistics and Informatics in Medicine and Ageing Research, University of Rostock. He has published 18 papers in highly rated peer reviewed journals, attended 23 national/international conferences and visited several laboratories in France, Germany, Japan, UK, and USA. His current research is focused on the field of biomedical genomics, evolutionary bioinformatics and network biology where large volume of genomics, microarray and RNA-seq data are being analyzed and making sense out of data.
Projects within the RTG Big Data / Supervised students within the RTG Big Data
- Mathematical modelling for understanding the underling mechanisms of stem cell dynamics (pluripotency and reprogramming).
- Identification of biomarkers and their interaction/regulation networks by using large-scale RNA-seq and microarray data analysis.
- Evolutionary bioinformatics intends to study the evolution of genes in bacteria (e.g. Wolbachia) and their host-pathogen interactions by computational phylogenetics approach.
Research interest in relavance to the project
- High-throughput sequencing data analysis
- Complex system studies
- Systems biology
- Mathematical modelling
- Computational genomics
Field of Expertise
- Computational Biology
- Anup Som, C. Harder, B. Greber, M. Siatkowski, et al. (2010). The PluriNetWork: An Electronic Representation of the Network Underlying Pluripotency in Mouse, and Its Applications. PLoS One 5(12), e15165, 2010.
- Anup Som, M. Luštrek, N. K. Singh, G. Fuellen (2012). Derivation of an interaction/regulation network describing pluripotency in human. Gene 502, 99-107.
- Anup Som* (2015). Causes, consequences and solutions of phylogenetic incongruence. Briefings in Bioinformatics 16(3), 536-548.
- Narad, K. C.Upadhyaya, Anup Som* (2017). Reconstruction, visualization and explorative analysis of human pluripotency network. Network Biology 7(3): 57-75.
- Anup Som* (2017). Bioinformatics Strategies for Stem Cell Research (Book: Stem Cells from Culture Dish to Clinic; Nova Science Publishers (USA), ISBN: 978-1-53612-732-4).
- Priyanka Kumari and Anup Som* (2019). In silico identification of riboswitches in the human gut microbiome for therapeutic applications. Journal of RNA and Genomics 15, 610-618.
- Anup Som*, P. Kumari and A. Ghosh (2019). Advancing India’s bioinformatics education and research: an assessment and outlook. Journal of Proteins Proteomics 10(3), 257-267.
- Rinki Singh and Anup Som* (2020). Identification of common candidate genes and pathways for progression of ovarian, cervical and endometrial cancers. Meta Gene 23, 100634.